Thursday 12 March 2020

Reading challenge 2019



I think I forgot to tell you guys about my Goodreads reading challenge for last year, 2019.

A small sample is shown here. And in reverse order. [^^] But it gives you nothing more than the basics.
In previous years, I wanted a bit more information about what I was reading, and I found a spreadsheet from the Smart Bitches trashy Books website. [%%]

My total is really 403 titles. Goodreads has deleted something off and I cannot for the life of me work out what it was; not without going through all the records. Ain't nobody got time for that.
So 81,110 pages read. A lot of smaller titles. I was making my way through a pile of Agatha Christie stories but still managed one title over 800 pages and I read at a rate of 220 pages per day.
Being a romance centric website, the sheet is very well… romance centric. These are the categories.
This surprises me; I did not know I read that much fantasy and sci-fi.
I am parsimonious with my five star ratings. I do not give them to everything, clearly that would be for the fourth star – lol. But that is a pretty decent bell curve. I also tend to dnf rather than one star something.
This is interesting, because as is often the case, what gets measured gets noticed. I thought I would do better than this at picking diverse books and marginalized authors. I will try harder in 2020.
This year I have also split fantasy and sci-fi into two categories – once I’d worked out how to edit the spreadsheet. There are instructions on how to do that in this year’s sheet update. Dammit – I did it on my own, and added in a missing line and changing the 2019 sheet to 2020. I was super proud of myself for that.
I have set this year’s target at the same, one book per day. So far I am up to 67.

Links:
^^ My goodreads challenge for 2019
%% smart bitches reading spreadsheet

No comments:

Post a Comment