Saturday 28 January 2017

New rule for me

This Trump stuff is totally freaking me out.
When kid 1 wakes up, he comes out and asks, ‘damage report’ in his Picard voice. Each time I tell kid 3 the next horrible law that they are passing, she starts singing, ‘oh Canada’.
I get too involved, too upset, too angry… and there’s nowhere for it to go. I kept thinking that someone or something would stop this happening but at each stage the driver-less steam roller continues on. It stresses and depresses me. I do what I can. I have paid dues to organisations that will help where I can’t.
To impose a ban on refugees on Holocaust Memorial day shows an ignorance of history I cannot fathom. The distinct lack of the word ‘Jew’ in the WH release must be deliberate. How could it not be?
I’m Australian, this doesn’t directly affect me; at least until they start the next world war, but I am very worried about my friends and readers in the US. And this will affect the world.
It won’t be solved in days, weeks or even months. I can’t write or work, like this. 
I also know I’m not alone in feeling this way. In the spirit of self-care, I need to focus on something that makes me feel good, and at the moment, that’s my stories. Call it escapism, I know that.
So, for my own mental health I have made a rule for myself: no social media until after 2 pm.
At least it’s socially acceptable to hit the wine cask after I have read a few news stories, freaked out for a while, and got closer to sundown.
Other people have written on this more eloquently than I can.
Links:
My earlier post - people will die
Rachael Herron - we rise
Jim C Hines - Highlights from Trump’s January 25 Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment